As a result of COVID-19, some of us are working remotely. Being confined to home, social distancing and constantly washing our hands has become the “new normal”. Yet, we need to maintain a work-life balance when working from home.
Here are some activities one can partake in to do something fun and not work related.
- Learn a new language. Being able to communicate in another language can open a world of opportunities. New friends, travel or even employment. On the job front, it gives one the competitive edge amongst their peers as knowing another language is considered a skill. This time presents a unique opportunity to learn a language and to connect personal as well as professionally with people in online spaces.
- Host a watch party with family and friends. Friends and family are connecting online and hosting watch parties for their collective favourite shows or movies. Netflix, Disney + and other streaming services are uploading new releases and even entire series of classics. Pop some popcorn, wear something comfortable, relax and enjoy the show with those dearest to you.
- Hone your cooking skills. The pandemic has changed the way we plan or even cook our meals. Take this time to sharpen your skills and perfect delicious dishes. Cooking may seem daunting but one key tip is preparing your ingredients beforehand can make the experience less overwhelming. Also, check out your favourite celebrity chefs or foodie influencers youtube channels for recipes or even cook a meal with a friend to see who is truly the master chef.
- Plant a home garden. You don’t need much space to start gardening. Firstly, choose the right location where there is adequate sunlight and the soil is moist. Start off small and simple by planting seasoning, herbs, lettuce or pimento peppers. Set aside days that you will be gardening so that you can tend to your crops. You will be proud when you pick fresh ingredients that you grew from your garden to cook for the family.
- Get crafty. You always wanted to paint a feature wall in your living room or make your own natural soap and candles. Crave out time in your week to work on any project that will get your creativity flowing and your hands working. There are many online tutorials to assist in turning a novice into an expert.
- Take an online dance class. Since we are all indoors, this is a great way to remain physically active while simultaneously spending time with the whole family. Hip Hop, Jazz, Modern, Soca, Dancehall or Afrobeats are some of the dances genres one can do. Make it interesting by allowing each family member to choose the style of dance for a particular week thus everyone can learn something new and get out of their comfort zone.
- Time to meditate. Taking care of your mind is important. So find time during the day to meditate for 5 to 10 minutes. Some say the morning is the best time to meditate because there are fewer distractions but it all depends on your schedule. Meditation is one of the best ways to help you find a sense of calmness and clarity, reduce stress, promote healthy, restful sleep and increase focus. So schedule it in and meditate away!